Healthy Substitutions for Making Your Favorite Treats
I love cake more than the next person, but unfortunately, so do my thighs. For those times of the month when you crave everything sugary and savory (sometimes at the same time, here are some healthy alternatives to naughty nibbles.
Store bought brownies are packed with sugar. Instead, we’ve switched to a low-calorie sweetener.
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 5/8 cup low-calorie sweetener
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Fat-free oil spray
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl.
- Add the sweetener, cocoa powder and vanilla essence to the egg whites. Whisk well for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a tin and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for around 30 minutes.
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread
The gooey caramel tastes like heaven, but luckily, so does this cleaner recipe.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbsp Canadian maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sweetener
- 1 can reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/2tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave and add the almonds and maple syrup.
- Bake the mixture in a tray for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Add all the caramel filling ingredients to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Keep on the boil until the mixture becomes thick.
- Pour the caramel sauce onto the base and spread evenly.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate and coconut milk together in the microwave. Pour onto the caramel mixture and leave to set in the fridge.
Sweet Potato Chips
I’m a sucker for savory snacks and this recipe is perfect for when I’m craving something fatty.
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Use a slicer to cut the sweet potatoes into thin pieces.
- Add the slices to a bowl and pour the olive oil over the top. Mix together with your hands so each slice is covered.
- Add the pieces to a baking sheet on a tray and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden. Leave to cool.
We’re a fan of giving into our taste bud’s temptations without feeling guilty, and these recipes do exactly that. Give them a try and let us know which is your favorite.
Also try out one of these 6 Healthy and Simple Chicken Recipes for dinner tonight!