Healthy Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Thanksgiving is one of our favorite times of the year and aside from the get together with family, it’s a perfect excuse for scrumptious food.
But if you’re training, trying to lose weight or just want to eat healthier, we have the tastiest recipe for a thanksgiving dinner which is sin-free and will leave everyone happy.
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
This recipe serves eight people and is delicious!
If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, switch to aubergines or broccoli. You’ll notice we have stated fresh ingredients because it’s much healthier and tastier to buy fresh ingredients than herbs in a jar.
- 6 medium shallots
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup low-fat cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 ½ pounds string beans
- 3 tbsp flour
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add ¼ cup shallots and stir until golden brown.
- Transfer to a sieve and drain. Put aside.
- Place green beans in a pot over a pan of boiling water. Cover for 3 minutes until crispy.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the shallot oil in a pan over medium heat and add the mushrooms. Cook for about 12 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms to a bowl. Whisk the milk and flour in a bowl and bring to a simmer for around 10-15 minutes – until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove and add in the mushroom mixture, cheese, parsley, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a baking tray and add the green bean mixture and sprinkle with the shallots and handful of cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes until a golden-brown color.
Give this recipe a try and wait for the compliments to come flooding in.