Fit Girl Tips on How to Fall Asleep Faster
You would think the answer is obvious. But many people aren’t able to fall asleep every night and we keep ignoring the culprit…our screens. Yes, our light up screens, be it our phones, tablets, or TV.
But, I love Instagram!
I love instagram too but the light emitted by these devices is very intense, causing disruptions in our circadian clock by tricking our minds to believe that it is morning. And because our circadian clock becomes used to a certain rhythm, these disruptions to our sleep can make us exhausted in the mornings.
The following are some tips on how to fall asleep faster and get a better sleep:
- Don’t look at your phone, TV, or any tech device at least 2 hours before sleeping.
- Read a book or magazine. A book is more effective because your eyes have to follow along all the sentences, which can make you sleepy; whereas magazines have pictures and allow you to jump around.
- Draw something or color in a coloring book. There are actually some pretty awesome coloring books for adults that you can find easily online.
- Take a warm bath with lavender bath oil right before you sleep. The warm water will relax any tense muscles and the lavender will put you in a sleepy state.
- Don’t eat right before sleeping; if you’re hungry have some warm milk with honey and a slice of whole wheat bread.
- Milk has sleep-inducing tryptophan.
- That little bit of glucose in honey lowers level of orexin, a neurotransmitter that raises your level of alertness.
- Whole grains increase the production on insulin, which help get the tryptophan (a sedative) to the brain.